Image credit to:
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large, lidded skillet or Dutch oven. Add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and bell pepper. Cook, stirring, until the pepper has softened slightly and the pan is fragrant, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the cabbage. Cook, stirring, until the cabbage has softened slightly and lost some of its volume, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the chili pepper, sugar, tomatoes, salt and paprika. Raise the heat slightly, and cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes have cooked down slightly and the mixture smells fragrant, about 10 minutes. Turn the heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring often.
5. Add chickpeas, vinegar and pepper, and taste and adjust salt. Simmer another 10 minutes. Serve with thick slices of country bread or with rice. Also great with an egg or crumbled feta.
Tip: This will taste even better if you refrigerate it overnight and serve it the next day.