1. In a large pot saute the sliced onions in the oil until caramelized ang golden brown. Remove from pot, drain on paper towel and seaon with salt.
2. Drain all but 2 Tbsp of oil from pot and heat over mdium low (reserve oil for another use). Add garlic, ginger and turmeric and saute until fragrant. Add tomatoe paste and cook until it begins to brown and stick to the bottom of the pot.
3. Add the tomatoes with their juices and the whole pepper. Stir to combine then add 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Season with salt and add root vegetables. Cook until just tender and still holding their shape.
5. Stir in coconut milk, heat through and adjust for salt. Add the green and cook until tender. Remove hot pepper.
6. Serve in bowls sprinkled with cilantro, basil, caramelized onions and a squeeze of lime. Hot sauce on the side