- 7 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 lbs rutabagas, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/4 lbs parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Combine chicken broth, potatoes, rutabagas, parsnips, garlic, bay leaf, and thyme in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cover partially. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes. Drain. Transfer vegetables to large bowl.
2. In large bowl, add 1/2 cup butter or margarine. Use an electric mixer, beat mixture until mashed but still chunky. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer mashed vegetables to a buttered 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
3. Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter or margarine in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions. Saute until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Saute until onions are tender and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Spread onions evenly over mashed vegetables.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes, or until heated through and top begins to crisp. Casserole can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
Adapted from AllRecipes.com