1. Preheat the oven to 375°F with the rack in the upper third of the space. Oil or butter your muffin tins.
2. Sift together the whole-wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, oil, buttermilk and vanilla.
4. Using a whisk or a spatula, stir in the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Do not beat; a few lumps are fine, but make sure there is no flour at the bottom of the bowl.
5. Fold in the raisins or pecans and the carrots. Spoon into muffin cups, filling them to just below the top (about 4/5 full).
6. Place in the oven, and bake 25 minutes until lightly browned and well risen.
Martha Rose Shulman advises that these keep for a couple of days out of the refrigerator, for a few more days in the refrigerator and for a few months in the freezer.